Meeting April 16, 2013 at Deep Run April 17, 2013Posted by rdovi in Uncategorized.
We had a great meeting last night. Thank you so much to Lynne Norris at Deep run for hosting.
- David Walter from Virginia State was with us. VSU will have a Google 4 HS teacher program this summer. Details soon.
- Several folks are going to the JMU event this summer. This is a great way to get some college credit if you are working towards certification
We also talked about
- Teacher licensure – the state is still planning on updating the CS endorsement – we need to be a part of that conversation. We especially need input from colleges. It was pointed out that the courses required should go by the ACM list of college computer science courses.
- Where should CS fit? Several states are letting Computer Science classes replace a math or science for a graduation credit. Should Virginia follow?
- Updates to the new APCS Principles course – first test in 2016-2017. We need to work on getting the state DOE to add a course number for it.
- Changes to APCS, specifically no more Gridworld after the 2014 exam
- Competitions and camps for kids – looking at ways to get more kids involved
- Possibly building some kits of materials owned by the chapter folks can check out to use – like a library. Especially for some of the more expensive items like the Mindstorms.
Eileen Malick showcased the new Lego Mindstorms. Top secret stuff that I can’t put in writing, but they will be out hopefully later this year. You will want one.
We also looked at the Finches with both BYOB Snap and Java. Email me if you would like some sample programs in Java to try with the Finches.
And if you haven’t already please fill out the membership info. We need this to report to national CSTA: http://vacsta.wordpress.com/membership-information/
Join the Central Virginia CSTA October 26, 2012Posted by rdovi in Membership.
Hi folks! We’re trying to streamline the membership list for the Central Virginia CSTA Chapter. Our first goal building a teaching community to support computer science education in Virginia. That means getting as many people to the table as possible.
Please take a second to fill out the form to become an official member.
- Who can join?
YOU! Anyone passionate about computer science education in Virginia is welcome. Our members include K-12 teachers, parents, college faculty and folks from the business community that all believe in the power of computer science education.
- Why Join?
Because there is power in numbers. There are a lot of issues facing computer science education, from training in curriculum and instruction to advocacy for equity and access. The CSTA is on the front line.
- I am already a member!
Please fill out the form anyway – we are trying to centralize to one list.
- How can I help?
There are a lot of ways to become involved. Local chapter meetings are the best place to start. By meeting other people working to improve computer science education you become a part of a great community working to improve the education of our kids.
And if you prefer a QR code:
Attendance Certificate October 16, 2012Posted by rdovi in Conference.
CSTA – Virginia Annual Conference: Sept 28th August 22, 2012Posted by rdovi in Meetings.
Tired of being the only computer science teacher in the room?
Join us September 28, 2012 for the first ever CSTA – Virginia conference hosted at J Sargeant Reynolds Community College.
Sessions include: AP CS, the new CS Principles course, Lego Robotics, Ap Inventor…and more!
Also: a special roundtable on teaching computer science in middle school.
Registration fee includes lunch. Please note any food allergies on the registration form.
CSTA -VA Annual conference June 7, 2012Posted by rdovi in Uncategorized.
Mark you calendars!
We will have our first ever Computer Science Teachers conference in Virginia on Friday, September 28th in Richmond.
Next Meeting Dec 5, 2011 November 16, 2011Posted by rdovi in Meetings, Membership.
Hi folks – our first meeting of the year will be at VCU on Dec 5th at 7PM. I’ll send directions later.
We’ll be sharing information about AP/IB changes, updating you all on the CS Principles pilot and planning for our first annual conference we will hold in Feb 2012.
See you soon!
Next Meeting: March 14, 2011 @ 7PM January 26, 2011Posted by rdovi in Meetings.
We will meet at Debra’s house. E-mail me for directions.
Minutes for Dec 2010 Meeting January 26, 2011Posted by rdovi in Meetings, Minutes.
Binary calculator: Binary-Decimal_Calculator
Next Meeting Monday Dec 6 7PM November 29, 2010Posted by rdovi in Meetings.